Areas Of Practice
- Litigation: Administrative and Judicial
- Cleanup & Superfund
- Hazardous Waste
- Regulatory Compliance & Auditing
- Solid Waste
- Water Pollution
- Wetlands & Wild Lands
- Brownfields Development
- Associate Attorney
Jose Almanzar is an associate attorney at Periconi, LLC, where his practice focuses on environmental due diligence counseling for commercial real estate transactions, environmental regulatory matters, and environmental litigation. Prior to joining Periconi, LLC, Jose was an associate attorney at a Long Island law firm practicing in the areas of zoning, land use and environmental law, and provided counsel to Fortune 100 clients with environmental due diligence and project development. Jose has also represented parties in mass environmental tort matters in state and federal courts.
Jose received his Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, from New York Law School, where he focused his studies on environmental and land use law, and graduated in the top twenty percent of his class. At NYLS, Jose served as Secretary of the Environmental Law Society, and as Vice President of the Student Bar Association.
As a law student, Jose served as a litigation intern for the Environmental Protection Bureau at the Office of New York Attorney General, and interned for both the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (Region II) and the N.Y.C. Department of Environmental Protection. Prior to attending law school, Jose worked as an environmental scientist for a national environmental consulting company, where he conducted site surveys and prepared Phase I Environmental Site Assessments, Asbestos Assessment Reports and Lead-Based Paint Reports.
- New York, 2012
- New Jersey, 2011
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2011
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2013
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2013
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- J.D. - 2011
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Dean's List
- Binghamton University, Vestal, New York
- B.A. - 2006
- Major: Environmental Studies: Public Policy, Administration & Law
- Major: Philosophy
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Section of Environmental, Energy & Resources, Member, 2017
- New York State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section, Member From 2010 - Present, Environmental Justice Committee, Co-Chair, 2017-Present
- New York State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Member, 2016 to Present
- New York State Bar Association, Diversity Fellowship in Environmental Law, Recipient, 2010
- Dominican Bar Association, Member, 2016 to Present
- Long Island Hispanic Bar Association, 2016 to Present
Moderator/Panelist – “We Built This City on Rock and Roll” – Risk Management and Project Financing R.E. Transaction. NYS Bar Association’s Environmental & Energy Law Section, September 23, 2019.
Author – If You BUILD It, Will They Come? A Look at the 2018 Congressional Reauthorization of the Federal Brownfields Program and Other Amendments to CERCLA. Environmental Law in New York, May 2019.
(Please contact Periconi, LLC for a copy of the article).
Lawyers Share What They Love About Practicing Law: January 24, 2019
Environmental Justice: Enforcement & Advocacy.
NYS Bar Association’s Environmental & Energy Law Section, January 18, 2019.
Brownfield/Superfund Update 2018: BUILD Act and new BFPP Protections to Tenants.
NYS Bar Association’s Environmental & Energy Law Section, December 5, 2018.
The War on Science is a War on Civil Rights: Environmental Justice in New York State.
NYS Bar Association’s Environmental & Energy Law Section, EJ Committee, October 26, 2018.