Reducing Environmental Risk

Does your business deal with waste?

On Behalf of | Apr 16, 2024 | ENVIRONMENTAL LAW - Hazardous Waste

If you run a business that generates, treats, stores or disposes of hazardous waste, you need to be extra careful about your operations lest you pollute the environment. To do this, you need to be informed.

Here are four things to know:


Since your business deals with waste, you need to be informed about regulations related to waste. The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) enacts state laws and regulations. Thus, it’s vital to stay updated with DEC programs to avoid getting into trouble. 


Any business that handles waste needs a special permit (s). For example, a waste transporter must have a New York State Part 364 Waste Transporter Permit, a valid New York State Part 364 Waste Transporter Registration or a valid New York State Part 381 Waste Transporter Permit. The right permit will depend on the waste type.

Further, a business that stores, handles and/or uses corrosive materials, needs a permit that allows their particular operations and so on. If a business deals with different types of waste, for example, corrosive materials and organic peroxides, they may need an operating permit for each.

DEC activities

Another aspect to learn is how DEC operates. This way, you may not be surprised when DEC-trained inspectors request to inspect your facility or when the department wants to gather hazardous waste management data from your business.


While you may not plan to close your business, it’s crucial to be informed about the steps you may need to follow if you ever want to. Treatment, storage and disposal facilities handling hazardous waste are not closed like other businesses. For example, they need a post-closure permit and so forth.

Being adequately informed can save you from costly troubles in the hazardous waste management industry. Learn as much as you can. 




FindLaw Network